Information on Hill Stations near Pune – Matheran
- For a weekend getaway from the city in the hills, look no further than Matheran. Matheran is the smallest hill station in the entire country. It is located in the Karjat Tehsil of the Rajgad district in the state of Maharashtra. Matheran altitude is about 600 m above sea level. Matheran hill station has 38 points of interest.
- Matheran is an eco-friendly region as declared by the Ministry of Environment and Forest, Government of India. The most famous of the Matheran Points is the Panorama Point which provides a 360 degree view of the surrounding area.
- Some of the important Matheran points to visit are the Alexander Point, Rambag Point, One Tree Hill Point, Celia point which is a mouth of a waterfall, Echo Point, Little chowk Point, Big Chowk Point, Belvedere point, Garbot Point, Lords Point, Porcupine Point also known as the Sunset Point, the Panorama Point or the sunrise Point, Louisa Point, Mandhavji Garden and Point, Khandala Point and Mayra Point.
- Even though it is a small place, there are plenty of places to visit in Matheran such as the Morbe Dam, Prabal Fort, Charlotte Lake, Paymaster Park, Shivaji’s Ladder, Pisharnath Temple, Panthers Caves, Malet Spring, and Ambarnath Temple.
- Matheran Tourism has seen unprecedented growth and is considered one the best places near Pune to visit with family. The area is unbelievably beautiful and the scenery is simply majestic. The lush greens, water bodies such as rivers, lakes and waterfalls, the temples and forts give a sense of peace and calm and offer a time for unwinding away from the city rush.
- Matheran is especially famous for its Matheran toy train. People of all ages like to discover the area on its toy train. The journey is one you will not forget in a lifetime.
- Places to visit near Matheran are Irshalgad, Kamshet, Lonavala and Khandala. All the places have unique beauty, history and architecture to captivate any tourist.
- The number of hotels in Matheran has grown over the years. People love to visit the region for its great views and as a weekend getaway with family or friends. The hotels suit every budget and need of the traveller. It is by far, one of the finest hill stations near Pune.
Places of Interests:
- There are many points of interest in Matheran. One of them is the Echo point where one can hear his/her own echo. It is very popular among the tourists.
- The Charlotte Lake is also called as the Sharlott Lake. It is the primary source of drinking water for the locals. It is also a very famous picnic spot.
- The sunrise and sunset points are a must visit if one is in Matheran. Another interesting point is the Panorama Point which provides 360 degree views.
- Temples in Matheran are Pisharnath and Ambarnath Temple for the spiritual minded. There are forts, springs, parks and dams in the area to hold the attention and captivate any traveller.
Distance From Pune: 120 km
Attractions: Panorama Point, Porcupine Point, Echo Point, Louisa Point, Charlotte Lake.
Restaurants: Panorama Restaurant, Greenhill Restaurant, Dilawar Bakery, Regal Restaurant, Byke Restaurant, Kumar Plaza Restaurant, Point view Restaurant.
Shopping: Leather Bags, leather caps, leather Belts, leather shoes, cane items, glass birds, chiki, dried wild flowers, Kolhapuri chappals.
Route Description: Map will help to reach Matheran from Pune :